July 9, 2012

DIY Wall Art: Umbrellas on Parade

Pin It
Over the weekend I decided to finally do something with the hundreds of tiny cocktail umbrellas that I've had in my cabinet for the past six years. (Because let's be real. I'm probably never going to throw that luau themed party...) I thought about just throwing them all away, but the colors were so bright and cheery, and more importantly, I was in the mood for some new bathroom decor.
Here is how I took approximately twenty tiny umbrellas and snipped them apart for a cheap and easy DIY project.


First, disassemble the umbrellas. Cut the frame and then twist off the top. 
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Interestingly enough, I found a scroll of Chinese looking symbols rolled within the white top of each umbrella. I have no idea what it says. Probably something boring like assembly instructions or even just filler paper, but it does sort of resemble a fortune cookie message... just saying.

Arrange in your shadow box and enjoy! 

(Oh, and learn from my mistake: Mod Podge will not work for this project. The ink will bleed.)
Happy Monday!



10 comments:

  1. so cute and cheery!! love it. i have a bunch too that i've been meaning to make a wreath with. once i move to FL maybe the mood will really strike. as for now.. they got packed into boxes today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable. Not only is it bright and colorful but it's totally unique. I love it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also adore that you have been saving your cocktail umbrellas for 6 years..you are so adorable.

      Delete
    2. haha! That makes me sound really lame doesn't it? Actually, they were unused leftovers from a tropical themed bridal shower.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is so creative. I really like the results. Jodi @ www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this project - the colors - using umbrellas - very creative.
    What did you use for glue? I need to copy this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had good luck using my glue gun. I tried to keep the glue on the wooden frame so the glue wouldn't be visible through the paper top.

      Delete
  5. How fun for summertime! This is really cute. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from the newbie party. What a great way to add a punch of color. I love it! I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete